The New Department Chair Professional Development Learning Series (formerly the New Department Chair Boot Camp) addresses many of the crucial aspects of the work involved in leading a department, addressing topics such as financial, personnel, and issues management, governance and effective meetings, supporting teaching and learning, mentoring faculty and staff, and outreach and development.
The series is designed and intended for department chairs and directors of “department-like” units new to their role in 2021-2022. This year the series will be held in person.
The series will be divided into two sections:
- One full-day session held August 24, 2021
- One lunch-hour session held on August 25, 2021, directly following the Chancellor’s Leadership Summit/Breakfast
- One full-day session held August 26, 2021
- One session to be held January 20, 2022. Length TBD.
Read below for details on each part of the series.
Part 1 – August 24-26, 2021
This part of the series consists of a full-day seminar from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., designed to address the following learning outcomes:
- To review campus resources that will facilitate success in your role as department chair
- To increase your self-knowledge (identifying your preferred behavioral style: what motivates you; how do you respond to conflict’ what causes you stress, how do prefer to solve problems)
- To examine application of financial principles and budget models to various scenarios
- To identify conduct and action steps to address inappropriate conduct
- To explore leadership behaviors and departmental action that foster inclusivity, diversity, and equity among team members and in your unit
- To foster critical problem solving, listening and team-building skills
August 24, 2021
This part of the series consists of a full day seminar from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- 8:30 to 9:00 a.m. – Breakfast
- 9:00 to 9:15 a.m. – Welcome and Introductions
- 9:15 to 10:30 a.m. – What I Wish I Had Known: Experienced Chair Panel
- 10:30 to 10:45 a.m. – Break
- 10:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. – Provost Welcome
- 12:15 to 1:00 p.m. – Lunch & New Chair Networking
- 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. – Issues Management
- 4:00 to 4:30 p.m. – Introduction to Wednesday and Thursday; closing
August 25, 2021
Meet, mingle, and chat with campus representatives and familiarize yourself with various campus resources, organizations, and centers.
- 11:30 to 1:00 p.m. – New Chair Lunch: Introduction to Campus Resources
August 26, 2021
This part of the series consists of a full day seminar from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- 8:30 to 9:00 a.m. – Breakfast
- 9:00 to 9:30 a.m. – Annual Fall Academic Leadership Summit Discussion
- 9:30 to 10:45 a.m. – Money & Budget Overview, Challenges, and Opportunities
- 10:45 to 11:00 a.m. – Break
- 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. – Effective Meetings and Governance
- 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. – Lunch & New Chair Networking
- 1:30 to 2:50 p.m. – Outreach, Development, and Fundraising
- 2:50 to 3:00 p.m. – Break
- 3:00 to 3:45 p.m. – Strategic Communications
- 3:45 to 4:00 p.m. – Close
Part 2 – January 2022
This part of the series consists of a single full day session in January 2022, to be held in-person or virtually, dependent upon the status of the COVID-19 pandemic and campus operations. The specific date, time, and learning outcomes are also forthcoming.
- TBD Sessions on department climate