UW-Madison recognizes that many university professionals are part of dual-career couples, and the decision to accept a university position is often made based on the availability and quality of a position for a partner or spouse. The Strategic Hiring Initiative for Dual-Career Couples provides central funding from the Office of the Provost to make it possible to recruit or retain a tenure-track faculty member by hiring the spouse/partner into a faculty tenure-track or tenured position, or a long-term academic staff or university staff position.
Priority will be given to dual-career hires that will contribute to faculty diversity, i.e., where hiring the partner/spouse will help in hiring or retaining a faculty member from an historically underrepresented group.
Application Criteria and Process
- Allocations will be made on a rolling basis throughout the year.
- The amount of assistance will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Ordinarily, the department or college will share the initial costs of the hire and funding from the Office of the Provost will be available for no more than three years. Funding will only be available for those units that provide continuing appointments for these individuals.
- Typically up to one year of salary support may be provided over a one- to three-year period.
- When salary funding is provided, the associated fringe benefits are included.
Preliminary Request for Funding
- A preliminary request for funding may be initiated by the chair, with the approval from the school/college dean or associate dean. This request may be made via email or phone, and must outline the basic terms.
- If the request involves a dual-career hire, the preliminary request for funding must be initiated by the dean or associate dean of the school or college where the primary hire is employed (or will be employed) with an email copy to the dean or associate dean of the school or college where the partner will be employed.
- The vice provost for faculty and staff will follow up with provisional approval via email and confirm the terms of the request to all parties.
Formal Request for Funding – Due June 30
- Following provisional approval, and once the offer of employment has been accepted, the dean(s) or the associate dean(s) of the unit in which the hire(s) were made must formalize the request through the submission of a Request for Funding Form. In cases of dual career, the dean or associate dean of the unit in which the partner is hired will complete the form.
- Forms should be sent no later than June 30 of the year in which the request was provisionally approved.
Receipt of the form(s) will alert the Office of the Provost to release the funds during the appropriate fiscal year(s)
The funding request form is due no later than June 30 of the year in which the request was provisionally approved.
Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff Affairs
Office of the Provost
125 Bascom Hall
500 Lincoln Drive
Madison, WI 53706