UW-Madison recognizes that many university professionals are part of dual-career couples, and the decision to accept a university position is often made based on the availability and quality of a position for a partner or spouse. The Strategic Hiring Initiative for Dual-Career Couples provides central funding from the Office of the Provost to make it possible to recruit or retain a tenure-track faculty member by hiring the spouse/partner into a faculty tenure-track or tenured position, or a long-term academic staff or university staff position.
Priority will be given to dual-career hires that will contribute to faculty diversity, i.e., where hiring the partner/spouse will help in hiring or retaining a faculty member from an historically underrepresented group.
- Allocations will be made on a rolling basis throughout the year.
- The amount of assistance will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Ordinarily, the department or college will share the initial costs of the hire, and funding from the Office of the Provost will be available for no more than three years. Funding will only be available for appointments that are continuing and/or renewable.
- Typically up to one year of salary support is provided over a one- to three-year period.
- A request for funding must be initiated by the dean or associate dean of the school or college where the primary hire is employed (or will be employed) with an email copy to the dean or associate dean of the school or college where the partner will be employed.
- The vice provost for faculty and staff affairs will follow up with approval via email and confirm the terms of the request to all parties.
Transfer of funds
Release of these funds is contingent upon continued employment. Depending on the timing of the request, funds may be added to the school/college/division’s annual budget planning allocation or transferred immediately.