The Department Chairs Community of Practice is an opportunity for department chairs and academic center directors to connect with each other around academic leadership topics. Each gathering includes lunch (unless noted otherwise below) and starts with 15 minutes of networking before facilitators and presenters lead the group in meaningful conversation.
Sept. 2, 2022, 3 p.m. at Memorial Union Terrace
“Welcome Back Gathering”
- Join us to connect with other department chairs as we begin another year of engaged leadership together. Staff will wear nametags and will look for you outside near the large sunburst chair. We will move indoors to Der Rathskeller in case of inclement weather. Snacks will be provided. Bring a beverage or purchase one from the union.
- No registration required
Sept. 20, 2022, 11:30 a.m.–1:00 p.m. at Union South
“Hostile and Intimidating Behavior”
- Hostile and intimidating behavior (HIB) can lead to an unhealthy climate and culture for everyone in the department. Trained HIB facilitators will lead this gathering to help chair’s identify HIB and understand their responsibilities to address and report incidents of HIB in the department.
- Register for this session on “Hostile and Intimidating Behavior.”
Oct. 19, 2022, 11:30 a.m.–1:00 p.m. at Union South
“Accommodations in the Classroom”
- Accommodation requests are rising alongside the growing student mental health crisis. Representatives from McBurney Disability Resource Center will discuss the accommodation process, including the department’s and faculty member’s responsibilities, campus resources, and designing courses with accessibility in mind.
- Register for this session on “Accommodations in the Classroom.”
Nov. 21, 2022, 11:30 a.m.–1:00 p.m. at Union South
- The Diversity Forum is the university’s premier all-campus and community conference to discuss, share and learn about contemporary issues in diversity and inclusion. After attending the Diversity Forum, at this gathering we’ll discuss your key takeaways, what ideas you found challenging, and how to implement your findings into your department’s work on diversity and inclusion. You are welcome to attend this gathering without attending the Diversity Forum.
- Register for this session on “Diversity.”
Dec. 9, 2022, 8:30–9:45 a.m. at the Discovery Building
- As the semester winds down, let’s use this time to connect with each other on the issues of the day. Bring a beverage or purchase one from Aldo’s Cafe and meet in the open court (large open space by Johnson St.) for informal discussion.
- No registration required.
Jan. 26, 2023, 11:30 a.m.–1:00 p.m. at Union South
“Leading and Supervising People”
- How you lead and supervise people affects department culture and your ability to achieve individual and departmental goals. In this gathering, we’ll discuss types of leadership styles, when to use different styles, and strategies to empower your faculty and staff to bring their best selves to work.
- Register for this session on “Leading and Supervising People.”
Feb. 21, 2023, 11:30 a.m.–1:00 p.m. at Union South
“Restarting Your Research Career After Being Chair”
- Chances are you have had to pause your research career while being chair. In this gathering, we’ll discuss how to restart your research career once your chair term ends and steps you can take now to make the transition back to research go more smoothly.
- Register for this session on “Restarting Your Research Career After Being Chair.”
March 21, 2023, 11:30 a.m.–1:00 p.m. at Union South
“Special Chairs’ Gathering with the Chancellor and Provost”
- This is an informal opportunity to interact with the chancellor and provost and discuss issues facing your departments and the campus. Chancellor Mnookin will make some brief remarks, and then she and Provost Scholz will be available for questions and discussion.
- Register for this “Special Chairs’ Gathering with the Chancellor and Provost.”
April 25, 2023, 11:30 a.m.–1:00 p.m. at Union South
“Reflecting on the Year”
- Reflection is a process that helps you make meaning out of your experiences. At this gathering, we’ll reflect on the academic year and examine our successes, failures, regrets, what we enjoyed, and what we need to do more or less of during the next academic year. There will be time for both individual reflection and group discussion.
- Register for this session on “Reflecting on the Year.”